Why is it that the week before your vacation starts is the week that drags on the longest? I am SO happy that it's Friday I can't even tell you! Let the Christmas celebrations begin!
I got an e-mail asking for tips on how to keep weight off during the holidays. The truth is I have no idea. The only tip I can tell you is to save your calories for the good stuff. My mother and MIL are excellent cooks - I plan on eating everything they serve over the holidays. I counter that with eating light, healthy meals at home. Make sense? I make no guarantees, but it works for me!
This might be my new favorite thing to whip up - it's so quick and easy and it doesn't lack flavor!
1 white onion
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
1 cup gruyere cheese
- Caramelize your onions first, because it takes the longest. Slice your onion thinly and try to keep a consistent thickness. In the largest pot you have place about 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the thinly sliced onion to the bottom of the pan. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Turn the heat on to medium low, cover almost completely and WALK AWAY! The less you touch the onions the better. Check on them every 5 minutes or so and toss them further in the olive oil.
- While the onions are caramelizing, cut your baguette, and coat with olive oil. Fry in a frying pan face down until the bread is crusty. Set aside.
- Grade your cheese, and set aside.
- When the onions are completely done they will be a rich purple/brown color. Pull them out of the pan and set those aside as well.
- To assemble, spread mustard onto the bread in a thin layer - you just want a hint of mustard, not an overwhelming flavor. Cover the mustard with the caramelized onions. Top with cheese and broil for about 5 minutes until the cheese is fully melted.
- Sprinkle fresh rosemary on top before serving. You will notice I did not do this - my husband hates rosemary, so it's one of the few spices that I just don't have!
Oh and if you haven't heard the good news, let me just tell you - Rachel had her baby BOY!! So happy for her and her husband and I'm anxiously awaiting all the details. He's beautiful!