Mango Salsa

Monday night I finally had the time to hit my favorite hot yoga class. Little did I know, the format has changed – it’s suddenly 90 minutes, and has a hot class before it. I walked in and was hit by the wall of humidity and was instantly sticky. I love/hate that. Love it because I’m already sweating when we get started and hate it for the exact same reason. There is no way to leave those classes pretty and dry.

I spent my Sunday night do treadmill intervals and my physical therapy exercises so I knew it wasn’t going to be the easiest class in the world. My leg was sore, I was already hot when I walked in and all the spots away from the heating vents in the ceiling were taken. I was determined to stick it out anyway.

After about 50 minutes I thought I was going to pass out. I was close to being too hot, blood was pumping through my hands and feet like a drum and I started longingly staring at the door that was standing between me and fresh, thin air.

I realized during my next yoga sit up that I was being too hard on myself. This was my first night back in my class in almost 6 months. Why was I expecting to pick up exactly where I left off? There’s no way my muscles can be expected to remember each pose.

I forced myself to slow down, and stop doing everything so quickly. The rest of the class went by quickly and I finally found myself feeling good again. But, I did leave before I was forced to lay in the heat for 10 more minutes at the very end of class.

What does this have to do with mango salsa you ask? Absolutely nothing.

PrintPrint

1/2 red onion, minced
3 jalapenos, minced
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 orange slice, juiced
1 handful of cilantro, minced

Directions:

Chop all ingredients and mix together in a bowl until well combine. Serve cold.

You should make this salsa, because so far this week I have put it on a breakfast burrito with leftover steak, piled it high on top of salmon and ate it with tortilla chips for snacking. It’s got an unexpected kick, so ease up on the number of jalapenos if you aren’t too keen on spicy foods.

8 Responses to “Mango Salsa”

1. #
    Christina @ Sweet Lavender Bake Shoppe — June 12, 2013 at 11:12 am

I LOVE mango salsa! This looks so yummy!

• Mackenzie — June 13th, 2013 @ 7:29 am

It’s a favorite at our house too!

2. #
    Dalila G. — June 12, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Man, you sure are a strong person. My wimpy-self would of walked right back out of yoga class! Heat is not my friend when it reaches high digit’s. Again…wimpy-self. :-)
    I also do not run, I might consider that option if someone was chasing me….LOL!
    I really like any fruit, even kiwi, that’s one fruit that took me a while to actually try it. It just looked too weird for me to eat it, now they’re a must have! I happen to love mango’s and this recipe sounds like it will be on my list’s of ‘must-have’ for me.
    It sounds like it can be eaten with just about anything.
    Have a nice day!

• Mackenzie — June 13th, 2013 @ 7:29 am

Mangoes are the best! And I’m betting you’re being hard on yourself and you could totally kick hot yoga class butt!!

3. #
    steph@stephsbitebybite — June 12, 2013 at 3:59 pm

I used to be an AVID hot yoga go-er, then I got preggers and couldn’t go…now I’m so scared to go back in the hot room. I’m trying to keep talking myself in to it! Maybe I should take this salsa with me to help me cool off ASAP when I’m done.

• Mackenzie — June 13th, 2013 @ 7:29 am

You’re already up and running – you can totally handle a hot yoga class girl!! So proud of you!

4. #
    Jen — June 26, 2013 at 5:15 pm

looks like someone liked your idea: http://seejaneworkplaylive.blogspot.com/2013/06/easy-mango-salsa-see-jane-make.html

• Mackenzie — June 27th, 2013 @ 9:10 am